It was supposed to be no more ...





NO MORE SREBRENICA …



I could easily say „I heard that song before”. The scenario of manslaughter and genocide repeats, constantly, ruthlessly.

I read newspapers, I look at lines, at clusters of words, I read with understanding, yet what is written, though, hardly meets my head. Then I read between the lines, analyse. Fault, again! What emerges is beyond my capacity. Am I too dull?  What is wrong with me? I'm asking myself.


Syria, Israel, Gaza and Ukraine – three the most hot topics, it overwhelms breaking news. I got it, still, the world did not learn its lesson, never-ending war crimes seem to be unstoppable, hatred and rage became predominant.

When Yugoslavia eased to exist, the war broke out, Europe was awoken, suddenly everyone bliked an eye or two and exclaimed „There's a war out there!” - and there was – a horrid, unprecedented conflict, the most bloody, the most serious and the most fatal after the Second World War. Slovenia, Croatia, BiH – and then Kosovo – made the world see and cope with a terrifying crimes against humanity.

Europe failed this exam, the exam of strength, unity, decisiveness. I still do not know why …

Yugoslavia was my favorite European spot, the mosaic of culture, so colorful and unspoken beautiful, I fell in love with it at first sight. Catholics, Muslims and Orthodox, they could live there together. Yet the early political transformations in 1960s 1970s and 1980s in Czechoslovakia, Poland and Hungary started awakening of FSR of Yugoslavia. The independence meant something, I know it, I was brought up in Social Republic of Poland, with compulsory Russian, I was rises in the system or rather within it … . 1990s in Poland meant everything, independence, first democratic government of Tadeusz Mazowiecki and Lech Walesa, Polish people went crazy, they emigrated whenever they could, mostly to Germany, just because they could. The transformation was not easy … nothing is easy, but in Yugoslavia it was more then that.

I was watching some movie and suddenly the film dissapeared and the breaking news emerged, there was a different news than I got use to watch ...I looked at the screen and I didn't understand what TV presenter was talking about …. I mean I understood but it did not want to be accepted in my mind, what I saw was a disaster, it was something I would never forget, bodies torn apart on the streets of Croatia, Bosnia, Serbia, hopeless images of people, refugees, neighbors who once lived together, now they were slaughtering one another, in the name of what I asked … I do not remember who was it, anyway I never heard a reply - „Religion” someone said, -„truly” - I thought ...never spoke it loud.

In 1991 a „new Polish braking news” made an announcement „Approximately 7.000 Muslim men will be evacuated in the safe area of Srebrenica, the presence of Dutch UN Peacekeeping Forces guaranteed peace and safety, Ratko Mladic will also be present, reassuring that nothing against the subject will happen from Serbian military forces” - sadly it was not safety at all, the Muslim men were driven to death, shot in the head, dag in massive graves, often moved from place to place to hide the traces of mass extermination, to make the process of identification utterly impossible. 
I cried, I was devastated, as a young person whose love to the country of Yugoslavia was so immense, the war was end of the world.

Srebrenica is not going to be forgotten … yet the least people remember, the least people want to remember … majority would love to forget what happened. I will always remember, I pay tribute to doctor Ewa Elwira Klonowski, Polish anthropologist who without cloud of doubt will try to find all the victims, all massive graves, and identify all VIPs, because all of the victims, indeed, are very important people, they were deprived of dignity, humanity. Fortunately dr Klonowski gives them their lost identity and humane respect.

Komentarze